Research and Development
The Research and Development Unit goal is to Promote sustainable practices in horticulture crop production. Address the research needs of the agricultural sector through R&D networking.
The Central Farm Research and Development is a centralized station compromised of five main sections: Administration, Livestock, Crops, Agro-processing and Agriculture Engineering.
- Research under cover structures/Open Fields
- Variety trial for various Crops
- Pesticide Efficacy Trial
- Validation of seeds varieties
- Promote efficient weed control system in exotic fruit production.
- Execute Pesticide Efficacy Evaluation in main horticulture crops (Cucurbits,Crucifers and Solanaceas) using Good Pesticides Management Practices.
- Promote backyard garden in Belize and utilize farm resources in an efficient manner to produce healthy and quality vegetables.
- Production of Organic Fertilizers
The unit serves as a research and demonstration center which provides services and training to student, farmers, farmers group, cooperatives, extension agents and NGO’s.
- Facilitate the development of Five garden centers to support Ministries of Agriculture and Education Initiatives
- Central Farm Small Scale Agriculture Demonstration site
- NATS show grounds Agriculture display model/Demo Site
- World Food Day School Garden Demonstration and Training Model